Stutton cum Hazlewood is a largely rural parish covering approximately 7 square miles with a population of nearly 1000. The Cock Beck forms the eastern boundary, with Stutton village nestling at the eastern edge of the parish. The northern boundary takes in the most southerly properties on the Woodlands Estate, continuing just to the north of the A64 to its junction with the A1(M). The small community of Hazlewood is on the western boundary, whilst the remainder of the parish is the rural area extending towards Saxton and Towton.
Stutton village may have been founded in the late 800s by a Viking settler named Stuft, and there are references to it in the Domesday survey of 1086. More detailed information is in the Village Design Statement.
In Hazlewood, the Castle, also mentioned in the Domesday Book, was built by and for centuries was the home of the Vavasour family. Latterly a home to Carmelite Monks, it is now a country hotel. Both Hazlewood Castle and its associated chapel are Grade 1 listed buildings.