Minutes of the Meeting of Stutton cum Hazlewood Parish Council held on 14 January 2021 at 19:30 via Zoom Video-conference
Clerk: Mrs G Kitchen.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 07796 544404
Meetings are open to the press and public except for any item labelled as Part 2 under the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960.
Press and public may not speak when the council is in session.
Present: Cllr D Birchall (Chairman), Cllr P Spurrier, Cllr C Heard, Cllr E Catt, Cllr E Collins.
Clerk/RFO: Mrs G Kitchen.
Highways representative: Mr D Griffiths.
Chairman welcomed councillors and visitor to the meeting.
To receive councillors’ apologies and reasons for absence; to resolve whether or not to accept the reasons. Apologies received from Cllr Mackay.
210103. Declarations of interest
To receive and record any declarations of personal, prejudicial and disclosable pecuniary interests. Councillors with any prejudicial interests must leave the meeting for the relevant item(s). None declared.
210104. Minutes of previous meeting
- Councillors to discuss and resolve whether or not to accept the 10 December minutes as an accurate record of the meeting.
- Chairman to sign the minutes if accepted.
It was resolved to accept the minutes from the last meeting as accurate and clerk to sign on behalf of the chairman.
210105. Public Forum
To receive comments on agenda items and matters of community interest from electors present. For information only; clerk to note comments; no discussion between councillors and electors. None present.
210106. To receive reports from:
- Highways representative – Darren Griffiths.
- County and District Councillors.
- Any other representatives – Police, CEF, etc.
Darren Griffiths attended on behalf of Highways. The chairman gave a brief outline of the main issues in the village – speeding, signage of roads etc. Weedling Gate, Mill Lane and Garnett Lane were highlighted. It was noted that 20mph was widely considered as the safe maximum speed in the village.
The chairman asked for advice on dealing with excessive speeding in the village. Darren commented that on-street parking tended to be an effective speeding deterrent, but most properties have driveways and there is little on-road parking in the village. He asked if the village had any evidence of speeding and offered a speeding survey for a period of 7 days at a cost per location of £110 to the village. The council resolved to accept the proposal and to discuss the sites and potential solutions for action when coronavirus traffic restrictions are lifted.
Some examples of costs are 2-island chicanes £5-6k and welcome gates approx. £1500. Vehicle activated speed signs are approx £5.5k. Darren advised that in an area where there is repeated speeding, the signs can reduce the speeding by up to 10% but if there are no speeding incidents there will be no reduction.
Cllr Heard asked about Garnett Lane’s speed limit, and was advised that a case needs to be made for the vulnerable groups such as walkers, horse riders, children going to school as justification for the need to reduced the speed from the National Speed limit. This would be the responsibility of Area 7 (Gary Lumb).
The narrow roads such as Brant Lane and Green Lane will need a site survey by Area 7 to establish the issues, such as re-siting of road signs including the speed limit signs at the bottom of Fanny Lane. However if re-siting speed limit signs alters the area covered then there is a legal requirement to change the traffic order. Some signs are sited in hedges and are obscured by the vegetation. Darren advised that these changes are all the responsibility of Area 7.
Mill Lane is mostly a single track road with 2 passing places, one recently being incorrectly marked as a layby, resulting in parking of vehicles. Darren advised that due to costs of hydroblasting, the area office may be waiting for sufficient jobs to justify the employment of the team for a day.
The footpath from Church Lane to the A64 has potentially dangerous overhanging branches. The chairman asked for confirmation that this is a Highways responsibility which Darren confirmed. Again it may be the same issue of waiting for several jobs to be dealt with in the same day.
210107. RFO’s Report on current balances and payments
a) Current balances (to be dealt with at the meeting) as at 24 December 2020
Current account £ 12438.73
Investment account £10038.20
CIL balance £325.60
b) Payments made since last meeting
bi) HMRC £170.20 cheque no. 000972
bii) G Kitchen reimbursement of Zoom subscription £14.39 cheque no, 000973
biii) G Kitchen December salary £204.25 cheque no. 000971
biv) Stutton Social Committee Christmas tree £30.00 cheque no. 000971
c) Payments made at this meeting
ci) Autela Payroll £51.25 cheque no. 000975
cii) G.Kitchen reimbursement of Zoom subscription £14.39 cheque no. 000976
ciii) G.Kitchen (postage) £7.80 cheque no. 000977
d) Any other invoices received since agenda preparation.
e) Council resolved to accept report and payments; RFO to initial bank sheets & invoices on behalf of the Chairman.
Applications received: Council to discuss and resolve comments on any applications received.
None at time of agenda preparation.
Applications considered electronically since the last meeting:
2020/1340/HPA Demolition of conservatory and replacement single storey rear and 2 storey side extension with repositioning of garage with new front wall and gate detail at Cherry Tree Cottage, Church Lane, Stutton, Tadcaster, LS24 9BH.
Observations sent 30/12/20 –
- This is a major development of the property and we would ask that full consideration be given to minimising any environmental impact. E.g, eco-friendly insulation, solar panels etc.
- The reduction of the garden area could have consequences by water run-off across Church Lane and proper drainage mitigation should be incorporated.
- The specification of materials to be used in the construction is vague, and the materials used must comply with the Village Design Statement.
- The proposed white rendered wall to form the front boundary is inappropriate and out of keeping with the area, whilst the design and colour of the proposed gates should be specified and approved in advance.
2020/1301/DOC Discharge of condition 03 (materials) of application allowed at appeal APP/N2739/W/20/3254635 (2019/1167/FUL) Proposed erection of an agricultural barn at Home Farm, Paradise Lane, Hazlewood, Tadcaster, LS24 9NJ – approved.
201209. Matters ongoing since the last meeting
- Underpass – still awaiting lighting contract from NPower.
- Church Lane footpath – overhanging trees awaiting action by Highways.
- Speed limits – ongoing discussion with Highways (see minute 210106 above).
- Road markings – awaiting Highways correction of incorrect markings in Mill Lane.
- Children and road safety – Cllr Heard to chase up. Cllr Spurrier reported that the BeAWare text service has sent out a text message regarding the need for lights/safety equipment when cycling at night.
- Memorial Stone – new quotations now received but awaiting circulation to councillors.
- Website (accessibility regulations) – Cllr Heard to prepare required statement and explore the options for updating the website. Clerk to ask YLCA if they have a list of preferred website providers.
- Telephone box – completion when coronavirus lockdown permits
- Parish notice board – ditto.
- Rural housing – clerk to liaise with Rural Housing Officer and ask him to contact Cllr Heard.
- Clerk’s IT equipment – appropriate retailers closed because of coronavirus lockdown.
210110. Correspondence received
- Public Notice for meeting of Selby and Ainsty ACC 15th January 2021 =- information now on parish council website.
- YLCA training courses – councillors to note and consider.
210111. Village Hall
Report from Cllr Heard re Village Hall matters. The current treasurer has now tendered his resignation with the committee now being down to 3 members. The AGM has now been postponed until more normal times return.
210112. Councillors’ Forum
a}To take any urgent points of community interest and/or concern from Councillors. No decisions may be taken at this meeting on any items raised here. Clerk to make notes for future reference.
Cllr Spurrier reported that the Defibrillator pads will be soon out of date. Cllr Spurrier to forward the details for the clerk to order replacement pads.
b) Items for the next agenda. To take any points from Councillors for inclusion on the next agenda.
No further points raised.
210113. Precept for 21/22
The options were discussed by the council. It was resolved to keep residents’ payments the same – Option 3.
210114. Further comments from the public
To receive any further comments on the meeting from electors present. None present.
210115. Date, time and place of next meeting
Council to agree date, time and place of next meeting. – 11 February 2021 at 19.30.
210116. Closure of Part 1 of the Council meeting – 21.00
Members of the public and press are excluded from this part of the meeting.
No part 2 items.
Signed. G.Kitchen (clerk/RFO)
19 January 2021