MINUTES OF STUTTON CUM HAZLEWOOD PARISH COUNCIL MEETING held on Thursday 12th July 2018 at 19:30 in the Stutton Village Hall.
Chairman: Cllr Mr D Birchall
Clerk: Mrs G Kitchen. 6 Wood Lane, Thorpe Willoughby, Selby, YO8 9PT
Telephone: 01757 703664. 07796 544404 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Present: Cllr D Birchall (Chair), Cllr P Spurrier, Cllr D Kent, Cllr Wrigglesworth, Cllr Heard, Cllr Metcalfe, Cllr Mackay
Clerk – Mrs G.Kitchen;
1 member of the public attended.
All present signed the attendance book
The Chairman welcomed councillors and visitor to the meeting; and reminded the visitor when comments may be made and that the public must not interrupt whilst the meeting is in progress.
180702. Declarations of interest
To receive and record any declarations of personal, prejudicial and disclosable pecuniary interests. Councillors with any prejudicial interests must leave the room for the relevant item(s) – none declared.
180703. Public Forum
To receive comments on Minutes items and matters of community interest from electors present. For information only; clerk to note comments; no discussion between councillors and electors.
To receive councillors’ apologies and reasons for absence; to resolve whether or not to accept the reasons – there were no apologies.
180705. Minutes of previous meeting
- Councillors discussed and resolved whether or not to accept the 14th June minutes as an accurate record of the meetings – accepted.
- The Chairman signed the minutes.
180706. To receive reports from
- Chairman – see action points.
- NY County Councillor – road holes, drain on Fanny Lane both are listed to be repaired , work on A64 almost complete.
- SD Councillor – nothing to report.
- Any other representatives – Police, CEF etc. – nothing received.
- Progress reports – to give updates on on-going projects:
- wildflowers at Jackdaw Crag – see later agenda point.
- missing Mill Lane fence – no response but chasing with Highways. Cllr Wrigglesworth agreed to speak to former owner for clarification.
- Installation of dog poo bins – reported from a MOP who is unhappy with the siting of the bin at 13 Mill Lane. He has contacted both the clerk and the chairman. It was resolved to revisit the situation when the development currently underway is complete. Action clerk to contact the MOP.
- The underpass lighting and Yorventure – no response but chasing.
- Pub car park – no response currently received.
- 20 is plenty campaign – apologies from Cllr Spurrier as time constraints have prevented further action. Cllr Birchall reported on some signage that he had seen in Lincolnshire. Cllr Mackay reported on a recent meeting and to expect the receipt of information on this.
- Cllr Spurrier reported on the village fete – well attended with roughly twice as many from the previous year, layout arrangements worked well, re-enactment group reported it was worthwhile, approximately £1000 was raised, duck race went well. The next big social committee event is to be the village bonfire.
- Grass cutting – the clerk reported she had sent the documents to the contractor who reported non-receipt, she has re-sent and he has confirmed receipt– action Cllr Wrigglesworth to contact contractor to confirm,
180707. RFO’s report on current balances and payments
a) Current balances (to be dealt with at the meeting)
£17937.04 Statement 19/06/2018.
£2,093.32 Business account as at 1/7/18.
b) Payments made since last meeting
c) Payments made at this meeting
i. Clerk’s Salary £254.05 Cheque no.000863
ii. YLCA £45.00 Cheque no. 000862
iii. Stutton Social Committee £154.80 Cheque no. 000861
iv. Mr E Goldthorpe £84.96 Cheque no. 000860
v. Mr R Champion £53.95 Cheque no. 000859
vi. Autela £46.80 Cheque no. 000858
d) Any other invoices received since agenda preparation
i. Clerk salary (July) £193.57 Cheque no. 000864
ii. Cllr Spurrier £15.00 Cheque no. 000865
iii. Walton & Co £720 Cheque no. 000866
iv. Clerk expenses £26.78 Cheque no. 000867
v. HMRC £152.20 Cheque no. 000868
e) Payments received since the last meeting
f) The Council resolved to accept report and payments; chairman to initial bank sheets & invoices.
g) Year end accounts internal audit. This is now balanced and a new meeting with the internal auditor is to be arranged by the clerk. The Council has requested exemption from external audit requirements which has been granted.
Applications received: Council to discuss and resolve comments on any applications received.
1} Cllr Metcalfe to investigate non-response to complaint regarding permission granted on application the council didn’t have the opportunity to make observations. It was resolved to hold extraordinary meetings for any important planning applications.
2) Application for a proposed single storey rear/side extension following the demolition of existing garage at 12 Mill Lane Stutton – no observations subject to neighbour’s comments.
Decisions made – Wild Briar – permitted, TPO Owl House – permitted
It was discussed and resolved that an extraordinary meeting should be called if any single councillor requested that we do so.
180709. Update on action points from last meeting
- Complete the audit and circulate the documents for agreement – see note at 180707.
- Report from Pauline Hogg. – The work was started 4 years ago but unfortunately the grass continues to be cut at the worst possible time. It was questioned as to who is doing the cutting, NYCC are definitely not doing the cutting (reported by Cllr Metcalfe). The person who has cut it in the past has denied doing it this year. Pauline has published articles in various local publications to stress the importance and invited anyone interested to have a guided walk. It would appear that no-one else has a vested interest in doing this. Pauline has received confirmation that it is not Highways England but NYCC who has responsibility for the land. It was discussed how it could be deterred, options such as signage informing of the existence of the wildflowers, non-permanent fencing/barriers , it is illegal to cut the protected wildflowers. Pauline confirmed that the 1/5-1/9 are the crucial times for it not to be cut. It was resolved to minute the issue for the final meeting of the year and to investigate signage and to inform all interested parties of the legal requirements (include Pauline’s plan). To organise a site meeting with NYCC to ascertain and assess all possibilities. Cllr Metcalfe suggested that Pauline apply for a grant from CEF and to liaise with David Gluck (to begin now). It was discussed about a donation to the costs already incurred. Pauline to report back on 6/9/18.
- Insurance for assets owned by the Parish Council and find asset register of the council. Ongoing action clerk.
- To ascertain ownership/responsibility of the underpass – Ongoing action clerk.
- To transfer £7900 to investment account – action Cllr Birchall.
- Contact contractor regarding grass cutting contract – action Cllr Spurrier.
- Ascertain ownership of broken fence on Mill Lane and contact for repair – it was discussed and resolved to contact the agent to repair the fence because the planning application requests permission to demolish/remove . Action clerk to write to the agent/owner.
- Ask if ideas for the telephone box can be put in the village newsletter – completed and will be in next issue.
- Check advice from Yorventure regarding grants – ongoing action Clerk.
180710 Grass Cutting
See action point above.
180711. Quarry application
Response from solicitor – action clerk to send the observations from the council based on the solicitor’s advice but with the additional comments from councillors.
180712. Review of standing orders
The chairman thanked Cllr Kent for all his hard work in doing the review. Cllr Kent has received comments or confirmation of no comments from all the council. He has circulated all his revisions. The council resolved to agree Cllr Kent’s revisions. These included:
3.4Resolved to keep the £500 limit. 7.2Action clerk to provide a formal statement to confirm her opt out of the pension scheme. 11.1(b)Resolved to increase the limit to £3000. Resolved to keep in 11.1 (e&f)14.1 & 15.1 asset register and risk assessment. Action Cllr Spurrier to investigate.
180713. Freedom of village and memorial bench/garden
Cllr Spurrier has obtained and paid for the plaque. A discussion took place on the siting of the plaque. Resolved to purchase a new bench to be sited near the new memorial stone. Cllr Spurrier to investigate, Cllr Mackay to pass on information.
180714. Correspondence received
Resolved to purchase the Good Councillor’s Guide and the Good Councillor’s Guide to Finance and Transparency.
180715. Action taken since the last meeting under the clerk’s delegated powers
See action points listed above.
The clerk reported on the recent training and circulated the template for the recommended data audit. Action clerk to compile a suggested policy for the council and circulate for posting on the website. Other recommendations include the purchase of an inexpensive pay as you go mobile phone for the sole use of parish clerk contact details.
180717. Village Hall
- Report: From Cllr Heard re Village Hall matters – AGM has taken place. The former chair and vice-chair stepped down but a new committee has been elected. The new management committee has proposed a less ‘hands-on’ and more managerial role going forward. Possibility of developing the Village Hall, possibility of a fundraising officer to liaise with various bodies for grants with a long-term view to potentially razing the current building and rebuilding.
- Village Hall representative – Cllr Wrigglesworth is co-opted as an interested MOP and Cllr Heard confirmed his willingness to continue being the nominated representative
180718. Councillors’ Forum
a}To take any urgent points of community interest and/or concern from councillors. No decisions may be taken at this meeting on any items raised here. Clerk to make notes for future reference
b) Items for the next Minutes
To take any points from councillors for inclusion on the next Minutes
Cllr Birchall reported on a near miss with 2 cyclists who have forced a way through the hedge on Mill Lane. Action clerk to contact SDC to report the problem and advise Grimston Parish Council of the problem. Parking is becoming a problem in passing places.
Cllr Heard reported on an overgrown hedge on the Hawthorns preventing pedestrian access. Action Cllr Wrigglesworth to contact the contractor to request their cutting back.
180719. Further comments from the public
180720. Date, time and place of next meeting
Council to agree date, time and place of next meeting – 6/9/18.
180721. Closure of Part 1 of the council meeting at 9.30 pm.
Members of the public and press are excluded from this part of the meeting.
The clerk formally opted out of a pension fund scheme.
Signed. Gill Kitchen clerk to Stutton cum Hazlewood Parish Council 16/07/2018